Monday, April 21, 2014

Vania's quilt


Vania is the daughter of a  friend from my teen years. Look at that smile and those curls, how can I not be inspired to create something amazing for this little angel.
I made Vania's quilt last fall, using a free pattern given to me at my local quilt shop's monthly meeting.
The pattern is called mirror mirror designed by Georgette Dell'Orco. The pattern can be purchased at Cozy Quilt Shop. 
I used a fat quarter bundle of spring floral print and 1.5 yards of a white kona cotton solids for the backing.
The quilt top turned out beautiful! but there is much to be said about my attempts of free motion quilting.



Front

Back
FMQ

At the time I was experimenting not only with free motion quilting, but also learning about appliqué. I learned about Pellon Wonder-Under, a fusible interfacing that makes fabric fusible. Note to self, letters must be cut out in a mirror image, so when they are transferred they are correct. I did not notice this until my mother, the teacher at heart, called me out on my dyslexic mistake. oops!

How to appliqué letters

I first printed out the letters I needed in a 100 size font straight from word. Then, I traced them on the fusible interfacing sheet and cut them out. Once the letters where cut out I fused them to pieces of fabric on the wrong side using an iron. Finally I cut out the fabric to the shape of the fused letter and then fused it to the backing of my quilt. Once all letters where attached I gave it a finished look using the zig-zag stitch.



No comments:

Post a Comment